Research

Annual reports

Held by the New York State Archives


Overview of the Records

Repository:

New York State Archives

New York State Education Department

Cultural Education Center

Albany, NY 12230

Summary:
These reports from Central New York Institution for Deaf Mutes were submitted each fiscal year to corporate members and benefactors by the school’s board of trustees. Continuing to operate as a private facility known as Central New York School for the Deaf, it became a state facility in 1963. Some reports after 1891 had pictures of buildings, students, or alphabetic diagrams.
Creator:
Title:
Quantity:
2 microfilm reels(53 reports)
Inclusive Dates:
1875-195
Bulk Dates:
(bulk 1875-1930)
Series Number:
A3364

Arrangement

Chronological by fiscal year.

Scope and Content Note

The series is a partial set of published annual reports produced by the New York State School for the Deaf during the years prior to its establishment as a state owned and operated facility.

The school, originally named the Central New York Institution for Deaf Mutes, was incorporated in 1875. The name was changed in 1931 to the Central New York School for the Deaf, reflecting its educational (not charitable or correctional) purpose. The school operated as a private facility, run by a board of trustees and administered by a board-appointed superintendent until 1963, when it came under the aegis of New York State. Consequently, the pre-1963 annual reports found in this series were produced by the school's board of trustees and submitted to its corporate members and benefactors. Because of funding provided at the state and county levels for the care and education of deaf mutes, the annual reports were also transmitted to the legislature, the Education Department, and local governments.

There are no reports in the series for the following years: 1884; 1898-1901; 1926; 1929; 1931; 1933-1943; 1945-1946; and 1949.

The reports typically include: names of officers, trustees, and benefactors ("life members") of the school; names of the principal, school officials, instructors, and members of various academic and other departments; narrative summary by the board of significant actions, plans, and documents relating to school operations; separate reports by the school treasurer, principal, and physician; and lists of pupils (male and female) giving name and town and county of residence.

The principal's report typically covers school operations (including new construction); a review of the school term (progress of pupils); remarks on the system of instruction employed and the condition of the work force; and notice of visits to the school by officials from public and private charities and/or educational institutions.

Examples of documents printed with the reports include: bylaws of the school; texts of legislation and forms relating to pupil admission and other issues of state regulation and appropriation; copies of examination questions and schedules; explanations of terms of admission; valedictory and graduating essays by students; and lists acknowledging receipt of newspapers from across the country.

From 1891 the reports are occasionally illustrated with pictures of school buildings, diagrams of the manual alphabet, and/or photographs of students in classroom or extracurricular settings (including some group portraits of school sports teams).

Use of Records

Access Restrictions

There are no restrictions regarding access to or use of the material.

Alternate Formats Available

Microform is available at the New York State Library through interlibrary loan.

Microfilm: 2 reels; 35 mm.

Custodial History

This material was microfilmed by State Archives staff in 1993 as part of a grant funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities. Originals were returned to the School for the Deaf after filming.

Location of Original MaterialOriginals held by New York State School for the Deaf at Rome.

Access Terms

Corporate Name(s):
Geographic Name(s):
Subject(s):
Genre(s):
Function(s):