Research

American Super-Power Corporation license application maps and drawings

Held by the New York State Archives


Overview of the Records

Repository:

New York State Archives

New York State Education Department

Cultural Education Center

Albany, NY 12230

Summary:
The American Super-Power Corporation submitted these exhibit maps and drawings to the Water Power Commission as part of a license application for a St. Lawrence River water power project. Action on this application was suspended in 1927 and superseded in 1930 by the creation of the St. Lawrence River Power Development Commission. Records include general maps, development maps, profile of the St. Lawrence River, views of power house, maps of proposed transmission lines, and land ownership maps.
Creator:
Title:
Quantity:
.5 cu. ft.(1 volume)
Inclusive Dates:
1922-1923
Series Number:
A4219

Arrangement

By type of map or drawing (e.g. development maps, land ownership maps).

Scope and Content Note

The American Super-Power Corporation submitted these exhibit maps and drawings to the Water Power Commission as part of a license application for a St. Lawrence River water power project. The maps and drawings are dated February 20, 1922. The application was made on January 10, 1923. The volume includes: 1) general map of the St. Lawrence from Morristown to Montreal showing: islands, tributaries, cities and towns, lakes, railroads, county, state, provincial (in Canada), and national boundaries, grade elevations; 2) development maps with color coding showing: area to be flooded, excavations for navigaton, excavations for power development, embankments and fills, concrete structures (e.g. power plants), course of navigation; 3) profile of St. Lawrence River along U.S.-Canada border (shows elevation in feet); 4) general and section views of power house at Morrisburg and Barnhart Island; 5) map of proposed power transmission lines showing: existing trunk lines, existing transmission lines, proposed trunk lines connecting Bernhart Island and Morrisburg power houses to Buffalo, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C.; 6) land ownership maps showing name and property lines along the southern shore of and on islands in the St. Lawrence.

Action on this application was suspended in 1927 and superseded in 1930 by the creation of the St. Lawrence River Power Development Commission.

This application and several others, and general issues relating to water power development along the St. Lawrence River, are discussed in "Report of State Engineer Roy G. Finch to the New York State Water Power Commission on Applications of the St. Lawrence Valley Power Corporation (Frontier Corporation) and the American Super Power Corporation for Authority to Develop Power on the St. Lawrence River and to Distribute and Sell Such Power Under Proper Leasing and State Supervision as to Rates and Regulations," June 29, 1926.

Use of Records

Access Restrictions

There are no restrictions regarding access to or use of the material.

Related Information

Other finding aids

Item list.

Access Terms

Corporate Name(s):
Geographic Name(s):
Subject(s):
Genre(s):
Function(s):